CO2 impact of mass timber

Yes, thanks for sharing. Great to have another option.
How does bamboo get converted into solid structural members, so gluelam or CLT equivalent? Is it a lot of very fine elements all glued together? I’d imagine it is more complex than CLT and takes more processing?

From what I can tell Bamcore is an adhesively bonded laminate system. I know that Durra Panels / ISOBORD use steam blasting and pressure to bond the fibres in the straw panels without adhesives, and wonder whether this method can be used for other fibres, a factory using renewable energy could feasibly produce zero emissions structural materials that sequester carbon this way.

2 Likes

@lloyd @jordan.palmeri

I just joined the CLF community and am exploring the discussions for content focused on mass timber, prefab, industrialized construction and carbon. I work as a mass timber fabricator and builder in Oregon and Washington and have helped organize many international events focused on these topics - so I am glad to find them discussed here also.

I manage this 3,000 member linkedin group focused on mass timber

and organized an online event in March with 37 speakers
Presenting onmass timber
https://masstimbercity.com/speakers-schedule/

All 33 presentations are available on Youtube

I hope this helps add momentum to these important and complex conversations.

Greg

1 Like

To share more resources on mass timber, here are 33 presentations on Youtube from March 2021 by 37 industry leaders

We are organizing more mass timber and construction innovation events in the future including AEC hackathons

We have organized 48 AEC hackathons thus far, in 30 cities in 10 countries - all volunteer-organized, non-profit,
neutral/agnostic events.

All of these events are focused on supporting innovation and to help connect the people working to make the $12 trillion global building industry greener, smarter, faster and more efficient. Join us.

Greg
@jordan.palmeri @baha.sadreddin

Timber or steel? MIT study helps builders reduce carbon footprint of truss structures

New analysis could help identify optimal materials for the crisscrossing struts that bolster bridges, towers, and buildings.

More resources on mass timber and carbon from Thinkwood and others