PoCP impact in CLT Structure Buildings

Hello @fbsilva, thanks for your answer!

The process that is contributing the most in higher POCP in CLT is A1-A3:

When checking into the EPD, we can confirm that the specific process most contributing to POCP is “A1:Raw material extraction and processing”:

Same happens with other EPD from a different manufacturer of CLT:

So, we can confirm that the higher POCP in CLT is due to the extraction and process (A1).

This is also demonstrated when checking the difference between the CLT building and the Reinforced Concrete in absolute numbers:

What It’s hard to confirm with OneClick LCA or with the CLT EPD is the relation between POCP and Terpene, due to the fact that POCP is measured with kg of Ethenee.

The resource I have found to explain why POCP is higher in extraction and processing (A1) of wood products and the relation with Terpene are the reports mentioned:

When I have tried to find out more I really did not come across any other useful information, in fact other info seems to not even list “terpene” into the most POCPs

The conclusions I have made so far:

Conclusion 1: POCP seems to be higher in a CLT structure if compared with a Reinforced Concrete structure.

Conclusion 2: POCP in CLT is produced in A1-A3, specifically in A1: extraction and process.

Conclusion 3 (to be confirmed): Terpene seems to be the responsible of higher POCP in CLT during A1 phase ¿?

There are lots of “Carbon Contributing Materials” lists…
but what happens to POCP Contributing Materials?

Just for fun: bellow some POCP results of 1m2 of: CLT, concrete, XPS (insulation), paint and gypsum board. This is a quick exercise to have some results, the functional unit would be 1m2 of material with its own typical thickness

1 Like