Seeking insights into starting an LCA user group

Hi all! The CLF-LA hub is thinking about starting an LCA user group for the new CalGreen requirements. Soliciting any advice from other users or hubs have for the format, structure, frequency, etc. I know @hub-seattle (@JMartinez @iancho @Kjell_Anderson @shana.kelley @jschwartzhoff @heyslivers) has been doing this for awhile! Have others? What’s worked / not worked?

Any insights appreciated!

2 Likes

Since I went to school in the pacific northwest I’ve been crashing their LCA user group calls since the pandemic. :slight_smile: I’m glad to hear that a southern California group may be in the works! As an attendee I’d be happy to be a resource for questions.

1 Like

Yes, I too have been crashing the Seattle Hub’s Tool User Group. Even though I am in SF, I would still find value in a LA one

2 Likes

Seems like a good starting point is monthly hourly open office hours where practitioners can come and ask questions in a safe space. We’ll work on pulling it together!

1 Like

I am also part of the Seattle hub but I support projects all over the country, and CalGreen Embodied carbon compliance is a big topic for us right now. I’ve put together some internal education on this for our California teams but the implementation side is somewhat hazy still. I would be very interested in joining this user group and potentially add a few CA based Sustainability leads to this.

1 Like

@Luke-Lombardi - would you be open to welcoming a Coloradoan into the group? Although not based in LA, a good portion of our work is in California and will need to navigate the CalGreen reqs.

1 Like

always, @andres!

You all (and anyone else) are welcome to join our user group hub, even if you’re out of the area! But if you must start your own local hub, we won’t be offended. It’s also pretty easy.

The Seattle LCA tool user group started as an offshoot from our local CLF hub. We realized a lot of us had questions about Tally and wanted to geek out about the issues and work arounds we were dealing with. The LCA group was meant to be more informal - not as many presentations, nothing recorded, and more discussion based. Most of the time we run it as an office hours, where people can come in with questions and the group attempts to answer them. Occasionally we’ll share some new wonky piece of information we’ve found or, in rare instances, bring in a tool creator to talk with the group. We meet once a month and announce it in our typical CLF hub meetings, as well as on the forum here. All in all, it’s been a pretty low effort addition to the overall hub meetings. All you need is someone to step up as a group leader to keep the schedule and send out invites.

1 Like

Is there a calendar invite for the TUG? I haven’t seen one in a while and just curious if I feel off the mailing list. thanks in advanced!

Edit: Jaclyn, just realized you meant the LA hub. Leaving this up in case anyone wants to join the (loosely) Seattle Hub discussion

Feel free to register for the series below.

@Luke-Lombardi, I would like to join too. We also have projects in CA.

1 Like

we’re working on it and should have an announcement soon!

Ever since my school days in the Pacific Northwest, I’ve been sneaking into their LCA user group calls during this pandemic era. :blush: It’s exciting to know that there might be a group forming in Southern California! Count me in as an eager attendee, ready to offer any help or answer any questions.