IECC 2024 comments

I want to strategize an approach to include embodied carbon in the 2024 IECC. Since the code works directly with operation energy conservation I’m unsure how to position embodied carbon, perhaps laterally. Even if EC doesn’t make it into the national code I think commenting is worthwhile to promote regional policy. A brief call and a push in the right direction are all I’m asking.

Thanks!

1 Like

This is an excellent suggestion…
Codes/Ordinances are reactive, yet I think we have a responsive code body in USA.

Please go on www.iccsafe.org and check out the latest news (oct. 21) from BSJ (building safety journal).
Those interested may wish to subscribe to above website.
I am a practicing architect and have been working with ICC on many issues for many years.
Cognizant of the important of climate change, ICC is sending a delegation to COP26/Glasgow_Scotland.

As to how to get IECC (Residential & Commercial) to begin considering carbon management, i suggest to go into the sustainability council webpage and check out recent deliberations (code change proposals). ICC Sustainability Council (includes IECC & IgCC) staff liaison would be very happy to provided guidance. Let us develop a work plan and I can make the introductions.

Hi Kai,
The study we did with the Canadian federal government recommended examining a metric that combines operational and material emissions, so that different parts of the country (with different fuel sources, climates, material options, etc) are able to balance operational and material emissions in the best possible way. You can download the report here: https://www.buildersforclimateaction.org/uploads/1/5/9/3/15931000/bfca-enercan-report-web.pdf
I know this approach is starting to get some traction within Canadian code circles, so perhaps it will be of interest to IECC.

NBI is working to include embodied carbon requirements in the 2024 IBC and IRC. We’re also working with a few jurisdictions that are interested in incorporating it locally. Happy to talk about it if you want to learn more. We’re always looking for support for this effort.

Here are the paths to get a discussions on a) greenhouse gas emissons and b) embodied carbon and to eventually get them into IECC and IgCC.

ASHRAE 189 which then serves as technical basis for the IgCC
• ICC’s IECC

Here’s a link on the current activities w.r.t. the IECC.

The easiest way to do this would be to shift entirely to whole building carbon emissions.

Fold embodied carbon and operational carbon together into 1 performance path that is demonstrated by an whole building LCA.

This is obviously too drastic of a change to be made.

In regards to a regional policy, the easiest and most effective thing to advocate for is a Buy Clean policy: https://carbonleadershipforum.org/what-is-a-buy-clean-policy/

Embodied carbon language does not belong in IECC since the energy savings and cost effectiveness cannot be measured. Reporting and material target language will be submitted to IBC and IRC.

@weblybowles it does if you use the social cost of carbon, $41/tCO2e.

The building code already addresses material requirements. Why would we split the requirements by putting them in the energy code?

@weblybowles because splitting it up won’t achieve any meaningful results and it will make it even more difficult to implement something like a whole building life cycle carbon budget. GHG emissions needs to be addressed holistically.

IECC should really evolve to ICCC, energy → carbon.

I 100% support your push to change IECC to ICCC!

1 Like