Marin County Building Code

Embodied Carbon enters the building code in Marin County - Marin County is adopting a low-carbon concrete code. Thanks to the core development team - Alice Zanmiller (Marin County), Kate Simonen (Carbon Leadership Forum), Frances Yang (Arup), Miya Kitahara (StopWaste) and Mark Aschheim (Santa Clara University).

1 Like

Hi folks,
My firm is working on incorporating the Marin code into our baseline specs for Bay Area projects. My understanding is that the Marin requirements shouldn’t be used for projects outside of the Bay Area because what is achievable in different regions will vary. For the purposes of using the Marin requirements, has “Bay Area” been defined?

Thanks!

Hi Beth, I’m not aware of any readily-available data for the Bay Area as opposed to California or the Southwest region, but one thing you can do in the EC3 tool is set up a project and then a distance (radius, I believe) to search within for EPDs that closely match your project’s needs. With Central Concrete being an early adopter of Type III EPDs for concrete, you’ll find many of theirs in the tool.
If you’d like support with developing your specification, I’m happy to work with you and to bring in outside expertise if needed. (I’m with a nonprofit association, so I’m able to do this for free.)

1 Like

What sort of performance thresholds are being established?