Quality Assurance

Is there a reliable way of doing a quality check or verification of a model’s LCA? How do you go about checking to avoid garbage in garbage out issues?

We have a model where we were initially estimating 30%+ carbon savings with respect to a baseline by switching most of the floors from steel deck with concrete topping for mass timber equivalents (still with concrete topping), but we are now estimating much lower ~6% savings. I’m trying to figure out how to best interrogate the inputs and outputs. Initially, it seems like we initially underestimated the foundations, the rest of the discrepancy, I can’t yet answer: I’m in progress.

Hey, Edwin! I was talking about this with some other people recently, and it came up that a QA/QC document might be fun to crowdsource. There are probably a few ways to structure this, but the way we approach this is as a list of questions when reviewing the model. But, I hate to say, we don’t really have a template. Maybe we can work toward this together?

Here’s a few to start, and I’d really love to hear about the checks being performed by other practitioners:

• If it’s a mass timber structure, are takeoffs for steel connectors present?
    • These are sometimes absent from the Revit, but can be major contributors,
  • If there is rainscreen cladding, is the clip system reflected in the takeoffs?
    • Again, often missing from the model.
  • Does every quantity of reinforced concrete have a corresponding quantity of reinforcing bar or WWR? Is this a realistic quantity?
    • Tally will do this automatically, but OneClick won’t.
  • Does the area of floor and ceiling finishes roughly correspond to the floor area of the building? If not, can we explain why?
  • Does the vapor barrier takeoff roughly correspond to the opaque envelope area?
  • Are conveyance devices properly included?
  • Does the door count match what I’m seeing in the schedules?