Questions Regarding Type III EPD Standards

Hi all! I am one of the lucky individuals who are working to implement Buy Clean into State policy! Accordingly, I have some questions regarding the development of Type III EPDs and I’ve been having trouble getting them answered. I am hoping that someone on this wonderful forum might have some insight! Thanks in advance! =)

• As far as I am aware, ISO 14025:2006 is required to develop a Type III EPD and the corresponding PCRs. Are there alternative approaches that can be taken to develop this type of EPD? For example, can ISO 21930:2017 be used to develop a Type III EPD instead of ISO 14025:2006? Or is this solely supplementary material?

• Can other standards be used to develop a LCA instead of ISO 14040 and ISO 14044?

If you have answers to any of these questions, then please let me know! Also, I would be more than happy to have a conversation or answer any questions you have regarding how Colorado plans to implement Buy Clean, so please let me know if you are interested in learning more!

ISO 21930 lists that it is complementary to ISO 14025. ISO 21930 is specific to construction products and services, while ISO 14025 would be applicable to any products for development of a Type III EPD. For most EPDs I have seen in the construction products area, they list compliance with both standards.

I have not heard of any other standards for LCA.

Feel free to contact me if you want to get a manufacturer’s perspective. I’ve been involved with our LCAs and EPDs.

Thanks,
Cheryl Smith
cheryl.smith@owenscorning.com
Product Sustainability Strategy Leader
Owens Corning

1 Like

I don’t have answers to your questions but I’m interested in learning about what the answers are and also learning about Colorado’s Buy Clean implementation. I’m in California and we’re expecting a large expansion of Buy Clean programs to include many more construction materials in the coming year or two. I’m trying to keep my eyes open for best practices/approaches for this.

1 Like

I reached out to a number of individuals with my questions and received great answers that agree with the research that I’ve been doing. Ecomatters has technical experts on hand to assist, so these answers are from the folks with that organization. I did include an additional question when I spoke with them.

My questions (with answers) are as follows:

• As far as I am aware, ISO 14025:2006 is required to develop a Type III EPD and the corresponding PCRs. Are there alternative approaches that can be taken to develop this type of EPD? For example, can ISO 21930:2017 be used to develop a Type III EPD instead of ISO 14025:2006? Or is this solely supplementary material?

• ISO 21930 is indeed meant to be supplementary to ISO 14025, as ISO 21930 provides specific requirements for the EPDs of construction products and services, whereas EN 14025 is the standard for Environmental labels and declarations – Type III declaration. In other words, if you would make an EPD following ISO 21930, you automatically also have to follow ISO 14025, as this standard is applicable to all type III environmental declarations (so also for EPDs).
  • Can EN 15804 be used to develop a Type III EPD on its own?

• EN 15804 is very similar to ISO 21930, and they can both be used to make EPDs in the construction sector. EN15804 EPDs are also Type III EPDs, and therefore ISO 14025 will also be applicable when you make an EPD according to EN15804. The difference is that EN15804 is the standard for the EU, and ISO 21390 is the international standard, however they are aligned to each other to make the EPDs comparable.
  • Can other standards be used to develop a LCA instead of ISO 14040 and ISO 14044?

• If you want to make an EPD, there is no other option than to use ISO 14040/14044, as well as ISO 14025, ISO 21930 or EN15804 and the applicable PCRs for your industry or product. Even if you are not looking for an EPD or third party verified LCA, it is still the standard to use ISO 14040/14044 and in order to make a complete and comparable LCA study, you will have to comply to these standards as well.

Hi Nate! I included some answers that I received in a separate comment.

I plan to meet with the folks in California eventually, but if you are interested in learning more about the approach that Colorado is taking sooner then feel free to email me and we can arrange something! =)

Bailey Vigil, EIT II
bailey.vigil@state.co.us