Job Title: Manufacturing Cost Accountant
Location: Ocala, Florida
Report to: Sr. Management
Send resumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Background: The company is harnessing the power of timber bamboo, technology, and industrialized construction techniques to decarbonize the built world. By sustainably utilizing timber bamboo’s strength to green engineer a fully customizable, code-compliant, studless dual-wall framing solution. We provide a framing solution that is stronger, greener, thermally superior, healthier, safer, quieter, and more quickly installed than any other conventional building method and material available today. The company currently has a single product line with about a dozen flavors (modest differences between the flavors with relatively little cost or sales price differences.) Currently the company manufactures and then custom fabricates its panelized walls for customers and volumes are small. Over time new products will be added and elements of the manufacturing and fabrication may be pushing into the supply and delivery chains leaving the company more as a (supply-design-manufacture and delivery) platform operator than the physical manufacturer and fabricator of today. This is an excellent time for the candidate to help guide the company to a more fulsome cost accounting. The company will subsequently hire other senior financial team members.
Job Objective: To propose, develop and implement overall cost, procurement and inventory accounting systems and implement the same within QuickBooks with adjunct spreadsheets or an eventual replacement accounting/ERP system. Support Controller in the monthly processing and preparation of financial transactions for the purpose of issuing accurate, timely financial statements and management support. As a small or start-up company, all team members play multiple roles and help with various administrative functions. The ultimate need is to help the company track and manage all supply chain, manufacturing, logistics, design and fabrication costs to ensure that we make informed financial and management decisions about our current and future products.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare, analyze, and report weekly, monthly, quarterly, or as needed, COGS and gross margin analysis.
- Oversee monthly and annual physical inventory counts. Propose and implement inventory valuation policy and valuation reports.
- Assist in month-end closing, prepare journal entries as necessary, including inventory valuation and inventory roll forward.
- Coordinate with Production for purchasing, import/export, receiving, shipping, and other like manufacturing duties.
- Analyze cost accounting data and generate reports as requested.
- Develop KPIs and metrics for major cost drivers and recommend improvements.
- Maintain internal control documentation and test internal controls.
- Prepare detailed account analysis and reconcile sales, cost and inventory and liability accounts by customer type and by division.
- Review and analyze inventory and margin reports, conduct research and perform analytical studies in regards to cost analyses and profitability.
- Special projects as required.
- Support and assist internal department reporting requirements such as audit schedules, tax schedules, and others.
- Ensure timely submission, accuracy, and validity of inventory, gross margin schedules to management.
- Other duties as assigned by the Sr. Management.
Administrative task as needed:
- Answer and direct incoming telephone calls to the appropriate team member.
- Provide general support to Ocala office visitors.
- Act as a point of contact for internal and external clients.
- Other duties as deemed necessary.
The Ideal candidate will also have:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or Business Management.
- CPA certificate holder with 2 years of internal or external audit experience preferred.
- Total accounting experience, 5 years minimum.
- Manufacturing and cost accounting experience, 3 years minimum.
- Proficiency in MicroSoft Office products and QuickBooks or other accounting software.
- Strong time management and analytical skills.
- Solid communication abilities.
- Ability to work independently while still being part of a team.
- Acute attention to detail and accuracy, with the ability to self-audit.