Having to generate a Carbon Intensity for a regional plant-based material

I am about to support some research into a building typology using a regionally-relevant plant-based material (similar to bamboo). I can’t provide much more detail than this for obvious reasons – academic-related research.

I am in the process of reviewing similar research in which LCAs were completed, but I’m not hopeful that any of them have used the same species of material. Specifically, it’s not timber, and not bamboo.
Does anyone in this forum have any advice – first-hand experience, or awareness of another study in which the authors had to deal with generating an embodied carbon intensity value for the study?

As it’s a plant-based material, I need to consider A1-A3 and biogenic carbon. I appreciate that much of the A1-A3 impact will be dependent on the sourcing of the material relative to the building site, and the energy involved in processing the material. That much I think I can rely on parallels with similar materials.

Please let me know your thoughts if you get a chance.

Potentially helpful?
Carbon sequestration and storage in the built environment @jayarehart
Transformative Materials

1 Like

Cheers Luke, these are looking like strong leads for my purpose.

1 Like

Just guessing, but if It’s hemp, check out this article: Data Reveals Hemp’s Low Carbon Footprint in Construction — HempBuild Magazine