Carpet (Floor Finishes) are Superstructure, not Interiors?

Hey Tally Group,
I am a new Tally user and new to the group. I’m testing Tally out for our firm. On one project, we have an existing building that we’re renovating the interior. The concrete slabs are in an existing phase. We’ve modeled in thin floors for our floor finishes, all on their own workset for visibility. The issue is that the carpet’s big impacts get categorized as SuperStructure in lieu of Interiors in the report’s BUILDING ELEMENT section because they are floors I think. How do you get the floor finishes to show up as Interiors?

I tested out hiding them and adding carpet as an Accessory Material on our concrete but we get the same result (Superstructure). There are some downsides to this. We lose the ability to have many floor finishes of varying sizes (no ability to enter a % of area), and the carpet stops showing up as a line item in the report’s results per Division and by Revit Category.

Any ideas?
Thanks for your help,

Gavin Ross
Noll & Tam Architects
Berkeley, CA

Hi Gavin,

I believe this is controlled by the “Assembly Code” type parameter in Revit, which is based on Uniformat classification. In order to change this you would have to edit the type settings for your finish floor assembly. I know that some firms have specific BIM standards when it comes to editing these classifications so I would double check that there is no conflict first. From my understanding, Tally only reads the first letter and two numbers in the assembly code, although some BIM standards require up to 4-digit classifications depending on the project/client. It’s likely that Revit has certain classifications preloaded for floor assemblies.

Hope this helps.

• Brie

Hi Brie,
Thanks for your response. I’ll look into the Assembly Code parameter. I’m hopeful because this seems like a simple solution.
Best,
Gavin