Casework in LCA

Hello!

Does anyone have resources for including casework in a LCA? It cannot be included in Tally, so we are looking for a workaround to account for it as we have a large amount of casework in our project.

Thanks!
Nicole

Hi Nicole,

Not directly related, but when LMN did our interiors embodied carbon analysis we used EPDs for laminate and MDF, multiplying by a quantity takeoff of the furniture system. We consider this a rough estimate only and do advocate for EPDs in the future. Casework could use a similar estimation method. I can share the EPDs we used if you want to email me: kanderson@lmnarchitects.com

-Kjell

Hi Nicole - I am digging into the casework LCA / Tally work-around right now. Did you end up applying any specific processes? Happy to share what we find out with our studies, too.

Thanks!

Hi Veronica,

I contacted our supplier for EPD’s but never received any. Ultimately we decided it wasn’t necessary to dig into for our purposes on that project, so I don’t have much advice to offer. I’ll forward an example that another CLF member sent to me though if it helps! Good luck!

Nicole Ridder, AIA
Gresham Smith

D: 615.770.8603

What is your email for me to forward that info?

Nicole Ridder, AIA
Gresham Smith

D: 615.770.8603

thanks Nicole! veronica@msrdesign.com

Hello again! MSR Design (where I work) is working on some deep dives into Embodied Carbon as it relates to Millwork/Casework, and we’ll be publishing our study to initiate some conversation around it. Since there aren’t industry baselines for those finishes/components yet, we’re working to establish those on our own and are hoping to gain feedback and push the conversation forward in this “hole” we’re seeing right now in the industry (espeically in interior-specific work) and carbon-related tools. If yo’ure interested in taking a look when it’s ready to share I’ll be sure to notify you both. I am planning to share and start a new Topic within CLF as well.

Cheers,
Veronica

Hi Veronica! Apologies for just seeing this. I’d love to receive updates if you don’t mind sharing. I’d be happy to share any progress our interior designers make as well, although I don’t believe anyone is specifically looking at casework currently. Thanks for reaching out!

Nicole

Look to the CLF TI study which is now a couple years old but we did do some work estimating casework (can’t remember the details-but we did create a spreadsheet to help estimate results)

Hello casework carbon enthusiasts! Please check out this white paper that @simonaf @EmilyGross and I put together this summer focusing on emobided carbon for various caswork assemblies/finishes. We welcome any and all feedback and we hope this can be informative for project teams! Please reference the casework calculator available for download (within the Sustainability Metrics Drawing Set Template) on our website - and reach out with any questions / comments.

Cheers,
Veronica

2021-08-31 Casework embodied carbon case study_MSR Design.pdf (856.7 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for sharing, Veronica! This is great work! I’m excited to dig into it!

Thanks,

1 Like