Webinar - The City of Vancouver's Embodied Carbon Guidelines

Want to learn more about the City of Vancouver’s new Embodied Carbon policy requirements, guidelines, and submission template?

Join @zahra.teshnizi and I on Nov. 29th, 12:00-1:30pm PST as we present an overview of all of this and answer your questions.

Register for free webinar:

2023-11-29T08:00:00Z2023-11-29T21:30:00Z

More Info:

The final version 1.0 of the City of Vancouver’s Embodied Carbon Guidelines and Design Report (spreadsheet submission template) is now published!

These guidelines provide practical guidance to LCA practitioners on how to comply with the City of Vancouver’s new Vancouver Building By-law (VBBL) embodied carbon requirements. The guidelines address topics like baseline definition, scope of assessment, results reporting, etc.

I’m very grateful to have worked closely with @zahra.teshnizi and @patrick.enright in developing these guidelines and submission template. Thank you to the many people who commented on multiple draft iterations over the past two years to help shape and improve these guidelines!

As I’ve said before, while these guidelines are designed primarily to support the City of Vancouver’s policies, I hope they will also inform other jurisdictions and institutions as they develop their embodied carbon policies!

Download (under Embodied Carbon in Vancouver Building By-law section):

PS - If you’re using these guidelines outside of the City of Vancouver VBBL context, please do send a message and share your thoughts and how you’re using it. Would love to hear!

More about VBBL Requirements:

This is the first regulation in North America to address whole-building embodied carbon emissions in the building code!

There are two options for compliance pathways: Absolute (kgCO2e/m2) or Baseline (% reduction from functionally equivalent baseline).

Starting this month, all Part 3 buildings are required to report whole-building embodied carbon results (and not be higher than 2x the baseline) as part of the building permit submission.

Then in January 2025, it is anticipated that projects will be required to demonstrate either a 10% or 20% reduction relative to baseline, depending on building type. Additionally, projects will also have to meet one of three responsible material sourcing criteria.

1 Like